The Wildermere Beach Congregational Church dates back to 1895, at which time it was a community meeting place for religious and legal meetings. In 1923 it became the Walnut Beach Union Chapel Society, Inc. In 1943 it was accepted into membership of the Connecticut Conference of Congregational Churches and later changed its name to Wildermere Beach Congregational Church.
The original structure was simply the "meeting house" building, but in 1924 a kitchen was constructed with a furnace room in between. The furnace room also was used as a Sunday School teaching area along with the church proper. In the late 1940's a raised ranch style parsonage was built next to the church. This was one of the first raised ranch style homes in the area. In 1950 an addition was erected to the church creating a parish hall. In 1967 a building program was instituted for another addition. The addition was finished in 1968 and added a small chapel, a congregational living room and a church school nursery on the first floor, an office and pastor's study on the second floor.
During the early years of WBCC the church was served by visiting pastors and students from Yale Divinity School. One of the earliest preachers was The Reverend Howard C. Meserve who later became Head Librarian of the Taylor Library, in the building housing the Chamber of Commerce in Milford center.
The Wildermere Beach Congregational Church has always been community involved. The Good Shepherd Day Care Center had its birth at this church as a church-related outreach program. The original Board of Directors were all members and friends of the church. For the first years it was entirely supported by church donations and volunteer staff, but the need was greater for a full time center and it became state-funded and remained meeting at the church until the child population became too great for the size of the building.
For several years the church provided free Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for anyone who wished to attend. This ministry became a part of the outreach of the Berean Assembly of God Church on New Haven Avenue in later years.
Reference- Kelsey, Virginia. 2004. Sand In Our Shoes: A Narrative and Pictorial History of Walnut Beach – Myrtle Beach, Milford Connecticut. 1st Edition. Photo Restoration & Design. P382-84.
1895 Visiting pastors from neighboring towns
1905-1928 Rev. Howard Meserve
Nov. 1928 - Jun. 1929 Rev. Paul Keckley
Jun. 1929 - Oct. 1929 Rev. Donald Salmon
Oct. 1929 - Aug. 1930 Rev. C. G. Christensen
Aug. 1930 - Dec. 1930 Rev. J.E. Walters
Dec. 1930 - Jun. 1932 Rev. F. B . Loper
Jun. 1932 - May 1934 Rev. Walter Moore
May 1934 - May 1936 Rev. Curtiss Jones
Jun. 1936 - Sep. 1936 Rev. William Henderson
Sep. 1936 - Sep. 1937 Rev. Russell Compton
Sep. 1937 - Apr. 1937 Rev. Howard Mumnia
Apr. 1937 - Oct. 1937 Students from Yale Divinity
Oct. 1937 - Jan. 1941 Rev. William West
Jan. 1941 - Jun. 1941 Rev. E. C. Rowand
Jun. 1941 - Sep. 1943 Rev. Bryan Eshelman
Sep.1943 - May 1944 Rev. Avery Lee
Jun. 1944 - Aug. 1945 Rev. E. Weldon Keckley
Sep. 1945 - Jan. 1946 Supply Pastors
Feb. 1946 - Sep. 1951 Rev. William Knox
Oct. 1951 - Apr. 1952 Dr. Warren W. Pickett
May 1952 - Aug. 1955 Rev. Howard 0. Steams, Jr.
Sep. 1955 - Jun. 1958 Rev. William B. Bradshaw
Summer 1958 Rev. Robert Watson
Aug. 1958 - Jan. 1959 Candidates
Feb. 1959 - Mar. 1964 Rev. Elmer Patterson
Apr. 1964 - Aug. 1964 Rev. John Smith
Sep. 1964 - Jun. 1973 Rev. Robert H. Anderson
Jun. 1973 - Aug. 1973 Supply Pastors
Sep. 1973 - Jun. 1974 William C. Matthews
Jun. 1974 - Jul. 1985 Rev. Hartford C. Inlow
Aug. 1985 - Jun. 1986 Rev. L. Randall Thompson
Aug. 1986 - Jan. 1993 Rev. Douglas P Lyon
1993 - 1995 Rev. David Colton (Interim)
1995 - 1996 Supply Preachers
Sep. 1996 - Aug. 2001 Rev. Arthur F. White
Sep. 2001 - Apr. 2012 Rev. John B. Thursby
Jun. 2012 - present Rev. L. Kenneth Fellenbaum